Saturday, March 29, 2014

Calling Mother Nature with a spring wreath




My wish...SPRING!
Oh spring, spring...where for art thou spring?

My little spring thing last week really didn't seem to have any effect on Mother Nature, so I'm trying again. This time, I'm making a wreath to grace the door and scare away the winter spirits.


First, I took a straw wreath and wrapped and wrapped it with this pastel variegated yarn.

Next, I took a Linnie Blooms canvas bloom and made a cut in it to the center.  I colored it with gelatos and spritzed with water so I could spread the color with my fingers.  These new spring blooms come in 2 sizes and I colored 5 of each size for this project using all shades of pinks and orange.  Some blooms have lots of color, some are more natural in the center and just colored on the edges.  Some are more pink, some are more orange.  A flower hodge-podge!




Once dry, I dripped some  hot glue onto one section next to the slice...


and overlapped the adjacent petal to give the bloom some curved dimension.


Next, it's painting time!  I painted these ADORABLE Easter shapes and letters from Unique Laser Designs.

I "marble-ized" the solid egg and bunny by blending gelatos over the dried acrylic paint and then splattered the letters with pink paint after covering them with a few thin coats of Distress Stain Picket Fence.


I added some seed beads to the center of the blooms and then tucked the blooms in with the wood shapes, a burlap ribbon, and some twisted paper leaves (attaching all of them to the wreath with hot glue).



This is my ode to spring.  Mother Nature are you listening this time?
~Kelly

Pin It

2 comments:

  1. If this beautiful spring wreath doesn't call out to mother nature, I don't know what would! Gorgeous for your front door, Kelly…just gorgeous. I love how you share your technique with us and describe your instructions for us. Love everything about this lovely project, but those florals are my favorite! Thanks for inspiring…Happy S P R I N G !

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVELOVELOVE, Kelly....wonderful tute!...super sweet décor!

    ReplyDelete