Tuesday, November 5, 2013

What a HOOT!

by Kelly Hoernig for Linnie Blooms


When asked to create a fall piece out of the wonderful Linnie Blooms canvas shapes, I set out to make a home décor item that you could use with your favorite photo or quote. For years I have collected headlines and words out of magazines and that is what I used for my quote. I love how it incorporates a great sentiment without going overboard. It complements the simplicity of the owl beautifully and I couldn’t have found a more perfect word. I used an old Tinker Toy as the word holder adding nostalgia and a vintage quality to the art.
The background is a paper napkin that I have decoupaged to a piece of 2x4 wood. I enhanced it by adding the dark trees because I wanted a little more contrast. The little hootie needed to grab your attention so I gave her eyelashes and a charming antique button with a lot of detail to look like chest feathers. I loved the addition of the various leaves and having them placed around the top edge really makes they stand out. They also break the shape of the wood block making people wonder what the piece is created on.

So, what are you waiting for? Imagine what your sweet HoOT will look like and I do hope you will share what you create! Enjoy.


3 comments:

  1. Sooooo cute! I like the idea about having a place to display a photo or quote. You did an excellent job using Linnie Bloom shapes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this as a home decor piece. The owl is so cute. Great design as always Kelly. ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete